2 pounds top round beef
1 large onion, sliced
2 tsps. salt
1/8 tsps. pepper
2 carrots, diced,
4 potatoes, pared, sliced
3 slices yellow turnip
4 tbs. flour
1. Wipe the beef and cut into small pieces.
2. Roll the pieces of beef in flour and sear in the fat.
3. Place meat in pot with onion, salt and pepper.
4. Cover with about 2 quarts cold water and simmer until the meat is tender.
5. Add carrots, potatoes and turnip,
6. Wet flour with cold water to form a paste,
7. Add to stew and let simmer until slightly thickened.
8. At this point, care is needed so that the stew does not burn.
9. Bring to the boiling point and serve. Flour paste need not be used.
10. At last minute instead of paste drop thoroughly washed beet, celery, or collard greens on unthickened mixture to add color and vitamins