1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
½ pint milk
3 cups flour
1 pint raisins
½ tsp each nutmeg, cloves, saleratus [sodium bicarbonate (or sometimes potassium bicarbonate) as the main ingredient of baking powder]
1. Heat oven to 325-350 degrees.
2. Butter loaf pan, probably 8"x4"x4".
3. Sift flour, salt, and spices along with soda, cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
4. Add in beaten eggs and beat well.
5. Add flour, to which raisins have been added-just a little at a time, beating well after each addition.
6. When all the flour has been added, beat the entire batter until smooth and velvety.
7. Turn into prepared pan and bake 60 to 75 minutes