6 to 8 pounds roast of venison
6 strips bacon
1 large onion
2 cups tomato soup
flour, salt, pepper
1. Wipe venison with vinegar-soaked cloth. Never use water as this t-ends to toughen meat fibers. Vinegar picks up hairs and clotted blood more readily.
2. Dredge with flour that has been salted and peppered.
3. Lard by laying strips of bacon across fastened with toothpicks. Throw rings of onion over each toothpick, 3 to a strip of bacon
4. Start in a brisk oven at 500 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 300 and roast 20 minutes to the pound. 45 minutes before serving pour tomato soup over entire roast
5. Cover and put back in oven. This will make a most delicious sauce or gravy. Time in oven varies according to age of deer.